All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Current's 6th Birthday Party

As I previously mentioned in this blog, 89.3 The Current is perhaps the best radio station in the world. I know so many people who stream it across the US, and even a few in other countries. Anyway, last Friday night I went to their 6th Birthday Party show at First Ave. Last year there was a surprise appearance by Prince!! No such luck this year but as usual, the lineup was stellar and made me realize how much I love local music. 

It started out with Trampled by Turtles (a last-minute replacement for Cloud Cult). They're a progressive bluegrass band from Duluth, MN. I'm not huge on the whole bluegrass/jam band scene, but they have a great stage presence and I love the song "Victory." Just announced, they'll be at Coachella this year: http://trampledbyturtles.com/

Next up was Roma di Luna, an acoustic folkish wife and husband duet. They remind me of a more country version of Mates of State. It's got a more jazzy edge to it than your typical folk music. Her voice is amazing and she is adorable. See MPR's review of their latest album here:  http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/10/01/roma-di-luna/

After that was the adoooorable Jeremy Messersmith. He is a local favorite and kind of falls into the indie pop genre. I think his music lyrically has more meaning that to just file him under "pop" though. He and his whole band wore all white at the show. His new album, The Reluctant Graveyard is eerily beautiful. http://jeremymessersmith.com/

Nearing the end was Brother Ali. Now, I am a huge hip hop fan, especially of local label Rhymesayers. I've seen Brother Ali a million times in concert and always found that I like his CDs a lot more than I like him in show. I never knew why this was until my boyfriend pointed out that half his set is literally him having the crowd repeat back phrases to him. It's kind of annoying. At the show, Any from Atmosphere was deejaying for him, of course with one hand so he can chain smoke! One thing I do love about Brother Ali is that even though he's successful, I've seen him riding the city bus. And since he's an albino Muslim, he goes and speaks to school kids about embracing individuality. Very cool! http://www.brotherali.com/

Last but not least, the show closed with Free Energy. Last time I saw these guys, they were late to a show at the 400 Bar because their van broke down. Now they're playing bigger shows and getting recognized for their fun stage antics. These guys definitely bring the energy. Half the band is from Minnesota and the other half is from Pennsylvania. They made Rolling Stone's "Best new bands of 2010." Check them out at: http://www.freeenergymusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment