All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Monday, March 7, 2011

Weekend movie wrap-up

This weekend was pretty busy for me but I did get two movie viewings in. One was good. The other one was awful. The good one was "Stop-Loss." First off, let me just clarify that I'm saying it was good, not great. The acting in the movie was nothing spectacular (Ryan Phillippe, Abbie Cornish, Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon-Levitt). This is the movie where Phillippe met Cornish, had an affair with her in real life, which led to the divorce with Reese Witherspoon. Anyway, the main reason I liked this movie was the real-life concept behind it. I'd heard the term "stop-loss" before but wasn't really sure what it was. It's when a solider is getting out of the army and the government forces them to reenlist and if they don't, they get considered AWOL and locked up. That's crazy to me! It is like the movie calls it, a "back-door draft." And the stats of how many soldiers have been stop-lossed is just sad. This movie did a good job of showing how much a solider goes through when returning to their homes after a tour in Afghanistan or Iraq.


The AWFUL movie I watched was "The Killer Inside Me." It stars Casey Affleck, Jessica Alba, and Kate Hudson. Casey plays a sheriff deputy who goes around killing people. Beside the fact he's psychotic, the movie tries to explain the killings, but it doesn't make any sense and I still have no real explanation. Jessica Alba "won" a Razzie for "Supporting Actress" for this movie (along with pretty much everything else she made in 2010). I think this movie was suppose to be artistic. They would play happy-go-lucky Texas music while sinister things were going on. Casey Affleck had a fetish for spanking women, which can from his mother (weird). And it took like 20 punches to the face for Alba to die, yet Hudson dies after three? I don't mean to spoil the plot, but there really is no plot. And I don't recommend anyone see this movie! Casey Affleck, you're better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment