All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Monday, March 28, 2011

Amazing band. Amazing show.

Last Friday night I went to the best show I've been to in quite a while. I went to see Rural Alberta Advantage at First Ave. First off, in regards to the band, I have loved them for years and been dying to see them. The last time they came to Minneapolis was two winters ago and they played the 7th Street Entry, which sold out at the door before I could get there. Rural Alberta Advantage is a folk/indie rock band hybrid from Toronto (hence the Canadian name). They are made up of three members. The band was formed in 2005 and dropped their first full-length album, "Hometowns," in 2008. I loved every single song off "Hometowns." They cover so many different sounds on the album, from a more rock edge on "Drain the Blood," to the haunting romantic melody of "Don't Haunt This Place," to the whimsical song "In the Summertime." It has a song on it for almost every mood. Their new album, "Departing," dropped in March 2011 and from what I've heard so far, I love it just as much as the first one. It's just as personal and haunting, detailing out the frustrations of small-town life. My favorite songs off it so far are "Stamps" and "North Star."

Their show at First Ave on Friday night was amazing. They sold out the mainroom and apparently it was the biggest show they've ever played. They were so genuine and grateful for everyone coming and so excited to play the show. The crowd knew every song and sang along. During the show, they did one cover song. It was "Eye of the Tiger," which sounded great with their spin on it. The drummer, Paul Banwatt, played his heart out, dripping sweat over his drumset. The band came back for multiple encores and pretty much played every song they had until they ran out, otherwise I believe they would have kept playing. At the very end, they came off stage, went through the crowd, and went up the stairs to the platform in the middle overlooking the floor. There they played their last song, completely unplugged. It was "Good Night," from their newest album. The place was so quiet, just so everyone could hear and after they were done broke out into thunderous applause. The band informed everyone that after the show they'd be back at the merch table and wanted to meet as many people as possible. That right there is amazing. When is the last time a band who sold out the mainroom gone to hang out at the merch table after the show??

I can't express how much I love this band. They gave me the perfect last First Ave show to hold me over until I make it back to Minneapolis for a visit.


1 comment:

  1. This show was BEYOND amazing. And so great that it was one of your last First Ave experiences before the big move. RAA is now at the top of my fave band list.

    ReplyDelete