All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thai-tastic!

Ha, okay, sometimes I have issues thinking up titles for my blog posts. Well, this one is about the newer Thai restaurant in Northeast Minneapolis, Ginger Hop, where I went to dinner for Restaurant Week last Friday. I'm so sad Restaurant Week is already over, it goes by way too fast! Ginger Hop's dinner started out with with the veggie fried spring rolls, which were decent. The sweet chili sauce they came with was pretty good. I also ordered a pickle satay, because who am I to resist a deep fried pickle with bleu cheese dressing. That was tasty, although it didn't stay on the satay stick very well. They need to find a way to make the breading stay more on the pickle. For the main course I got the Basil Stir Fry (I was very sad Pad Thai wasn't an option for Restaurant Week). It, unfortunately, was not the best. There was too much basil, and it drowned out all the other wonderful Thai spices in the dish. There was also too much red pepper, and not enough of the other veggies and meat. For dessert, the meal included a house-made ginger snap with vanilla ice cream and candied ginger. Now, those of you who know me know I don't like ice cream. I know, I know, that's weird. But the ginger snap cookie was warm, soft, and delicious :) The ambiance of the place is very cool. There's more of a modern Asian influence, with bright colors and dark wood. The bar space looked really cool and I guess on weekend nights, they have a deejay and dancing later. The restaurant is in the old Times space, right by Nye's. Overall, I think I would have liked it much better if I had just ordered what I wanted instead of going off their Restaurant Week menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment