All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Atmosphere outside of Minneapolis

One of my favorite artists of all-time is Atmosphere, a two-man hip hop group coming out of Rhymesayers in Minneapolis. I love seeing Atmosphere at First Ave in Minneapolis because they always give their hometown a lot of love. I've seen them in Milwaukee and Chicago and so far no show has lived up to the Minneapolis ones. This Saturday Atmosphere played the Greek Theater in Berkeley, CA. It's the largest show Atmosphere has ever headlined according to this article. I kind of wonder about this stat because he's the headliner at Soundset, which seems a lot larger. Anyway, the Greek Theater is amazing. This stone amphitheater is nestled in the hills next to the Berkeley campus. There's really not a bad view in the place. You can stand in the pit, sit on the stone steps or sit on the grassy hill above. Greives, a newcomer to the Rhymesayers family was the first opener, and my favorite by far. His CD is releasing later in June and promises to be a unique sound with horns, keys and guitar. Blueprint was up next and I've never been a huge fan of his sound. After that was Aesop Rock, who I really haven't followed recently and only knew his old school stuff. Finally as the sun set it was time for Ant and Slug to take the stage. They actually had an artistic set this time, which I have never seen them do before. The backdrop was very Minnesotan, a portrait of snow, birch trees, a cardinal and barn. Then they had 3D birch trees that glowed different colors set up on stage. It looked super cool, so I hope the continue with set design. Slug started out with some older material, getting the crowd going before he segmented into some songs from the new album, "The Family Sign." It was a little slow for my taste as his newer material is more deep and personal. But after that he went right back into some energetic tracks. He had the crowd going and I love the dialog he has with his audience. Of course he came out for an encore, as he always does graciously. I would say outside of his Minneapolis shows, this is the best show of his I've seen.



This was probably the only time I will meet Californians who will be envious that I am from Minneapolis....

No comments:

Post a Comment