All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Exploring the food on Divisadero

In our neighborhood (Lower Pac Heights), there are two main streets that have the majority of restaurants. One is Fillmore, which I've already expressed my love for via this blog. The other is Divisadero Street, which is less upscale than Fillmore, but still has a lot of restaurant options and most are more affordable than Fillmore. Tortilla Heights from my taco review is on there. In the last few weeks, we've tried a couple other restaurants on Divisadero St. worth mentioning.

The first is Frankies, an American and European cuisine restuarant. The have hard cider on tap, which is hard to find in this city. The interior is very warm and cozy, with a real homey feel. The owner, a super nice man from some other country (I'm not sure which), greets everyone who comes in and seems to know most of the patrons on a first name basis (he's in the pic below, I assume he's Frankie). I had one of their chef specials, the chicken cordon bleu. The portions in this place are nothing to scoff at. My chicken was crispy on the outside, with gooey warm cheese on the inside. It also came with fries and a salad, neither of which were anything special but decent tasting. 


The second place is Godzila Sushi. It's a smaller place, which lots of Godzilla memorabilia as you would expect. The sushi is very well prices. The more basic maki rolls are around $5. We got the spicy tuna, philly and spicy california. All were pretty good. I liked how they put a dollop of siracha on each of the spicy california pieces. For nigiri, we got the spicy scallop, which was my boyfriend's favorite thing by a long shot. For a specialty maki roll, we got the pink dragon, which has fresh crab on the outside of the roll and was my favorite. Drinks are also very cheap here, with house wine at $3 per glass and a large hot sake for $5. While it's not the best sushi I've ever had, it's fairly good and the prices will bring  me back there again.


Also, if you want a walk that will get your legs burning, one of the best views is from on top of the hill on Divisadero. The Minnesota driver in me still gets a little anxiety from driving such a steep hill during rush hour though. I'm so afraid I might roll back at one of the stops...

No comments:

Post a Comment