All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tacos, tacos, tacos!

I can't even begin to explain to you how much better the Mexican food is in California than Minnesota, but I'm going to try. I have been on a serious taco kick since arriving in San Francisco. So far I have three places that I would highly recommend. The first place is TacoBar on Fillmore. This small little joint whips out the best tacos that have some very unique flavor profiles. I had a duck confit taco with mango salsa that was amazing. They also do brunch food, quesadillas, burritos, soups, salads and desserts. The sangria looked amazing, so I will definitely be going back to give that a try.


The next taco place apparently has kind of a famous reputation for it's tacos. A friend of my boyfriends recommended Nick's Cripsy Taco on Polk in Nob Hill and we were not disappointed. They stuff a crispy taco shell full of goodness and then wrap it in a soft tortilla shell. The trick is to get it "Nick's way," so they stuff it with cheese and guacamole. They are pretty sizable so I got a carne asada and a carnitas one and was full (and satisfied). The taco line is cash only but the bar accepts cards. The ambiance its not what you'd expect from a taco bar, with lots of red tones and chandeliers, but I guess it turns into nightclub later in the evening.



The last place has an interesting tie to Nick's. It's Tortilla Heights on Divisadero and they also serve taco's "Nick's Way." I guess the two owners use to work together, had a falling out, and when they split bitterly, the guy who owns Tortilla Heights took the recipe.Well, they're equally good at both places. Tortilla Heights has a larger menu though and more options, so you don't have to get the tacos. My boyfriend got a steak quesadilla that was pretty good, but not as spectacular as the tacos. The drinks are tasty! I had some sangrita (sangria mixed with margarita). It's a loud atmosphere and lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment