All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Monday, March 14, 2011

A weekend at the movie theater

Hi readers, I apologize for the lapse in posting. I had the stomach flu, so the last few days haven't been too exciting. However, I was able to muster up enough energy to see a couple movies at the theater that just came out. The first one I saw was "The Adjustment Bureau." I really liked this movie! I hadn't been reading the greatest reviews for it but went to see it based on my love for Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. Both of them were wonderful in this movie and they worked together because they were suppose to be opposites. It actually turned out to be a really romantic movie that had me clinging to my seat near the ending, hoping that they would end up together despite the odds. The whole "adjustment bureau" thing is a little weird. I think they were suppose to be working for the higher power? Well, just don't over-think that aspect and you'll be fine. John Slattery (from Mad Men fame) and Anthony Mackie are great at adding some emotion and depth to the bureau men.


The second movie I saw was "Battle: Los Angeles." I saw this one for the boyfriend. Alien movies are just not my cup of tea. I love, love, love Aaron Eckhart (ever since the brilliant movie "Thank You For Smoking") and he was okay in this. Michelle Rodriguez played her typical ass-kicking female role, which she has pretty much nailed down. It says the other star of this movie was Bridget Moynahan, but she had a cumulative screen time of like five minutes, so I have no comment on her performance. The main thing that annoyed me about this movie (spoilers ahead) was that right at the beginning the film they introduce you to ten different characters, give them all back stories, then put them all in war gear so they all look identical, and then kill off half of them in the first 30 minutes. It's confusing, you have no idea which ones are alive, and are wondering why you even bothered to try and get to know the characters. Movies like this just need to concentrate on a couple key players. Also, it was shot at really close range so you feel like you're in the movie, which is intense but makes it really hard to see sometimes and figure out what happened. I guess if you're into alien movies, you'll probably like this film.


2 comments:

  1. Battle: LA was not good, but I loved it. It was exactly what I wanted to see, I was in the mood for an intense edge of your seat movie. And it delivered exactly that. 9 times our of ten I wouldn't have cared for it, but for whatever reason I was in the mood to turn off my brain and just enjoy the spectacle. I was worried there was going to be a love interest back story thrown in a couple of times, but thank goodness they kept that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yes, see I think I was definitely not in the target demographic for this film, because every guy I know who's seen it thinks it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete