All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Thursday, February 3, 2011

FINALLY! New music from The Streets

If there's one thing I love more than local Rhymesayers hip hop, it's foreign hip hop. Hip hop from abroad is just so much more relate-able to me. One of my favorite groups is The Streets, from the U.K. They haven't released any new music since their last album, "Everything Is Borrowed,' which was released in 2008. Before that, they released albums in 2002, 2004, and 2006. Well, they just released their fifth album, but rumors are this may be their last. A lot of people don't like the new album, "Computers and Blues," but I think it captures what Mike Skinner does best, catchy hooks and humorous lyrics that aren't deep until you really start to think about them. I think he's able to create hip hop for any mood. When i was in college, the carefree lyrics of "Original Pirate Material" was what I was looking for. When I went through a breakup, "Everything Is Borrowed" went perfect with my mood. His evolution has been interesting. It would have been nice to see what came next. To stream The Street "Computers and Blues," for free: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/feb/03/streets-computers-blues-album-stream I've only had a chance to listen all the way through once, but I really like the "OMG" track. Very relevant to the times!




No comments:

Post a Comment