All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Monday, February 21, 2011

A weekend of weak movies

I watched a couple movies this weekend and unfortunately was not wowed by any of them. Here's my rundown of reviews.

First up is "Red." I actually had high hopes for this one. It features a star-studded cast, with Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, and Morgan Freeman. It was a Golden Globe nomination for "Best Motion Picture- Comedy or Musical." Well, I think the nomination was a bit of a stretch. The movie was light-hearted. It had funny moments. Overall the plot was pretty predictable. Bruce Willis and Mary-Louise Parker worked way better as a couple than I thought they would. I'm glad they went with MLP and not some 20-somthing "it" girl. The best part of the movie by far was Helen Mirren. She's a bad-ass. I love that woman.


The second movie on the queue this weekend was "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" Once again, this also had a Golden Globe nomination this year (Michael Douglas for Best Support Actor). I'm seriously starting to worry about the Globes. I had recently re-watched the first "Wall Street" movie to prepare for this one, which is a great movie. Of course there was a cameo by Charlie Sheen in this sequel. Michael Douglas was good in it but Gordon Gekko wasn't as big of a role int his one as I thought it would be, given the hype. Shia LaBeouf was the main lead. He and Carey Mulligan's character were clearly in their mid-20's, yet super successful, living in a multi-million dollar condo in NYC, and Shia was getting bonus checks for $1.5MM. Yeah, that would have been a bit more believable with someone a bit older. The main plot of the movie was an issue between Shia and Josh Brolin's character. Josh Brolin was pretty good in this movie. He should have received more recognition.


Last but not least is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long time, "MacGruber."I know I'm not in this movie's target demo, but my boyfriend is, and he even concurred that this movie was awful. It was gross. It wasn't funny. It was more just disturbing that it was ever green-lit by a studio to be made. I wan't to know why this wasn't up for Razzies! Kristen Wiig, you are too funny to be making movies like this. And Ryan Phillippe, what happened to your career? Better question, Val Kilmer, what happened to your career?? Please find a treadmill ASAP and get off the crazy train. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment