All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Monday, February 14, 2011

Movies of the weekend

I didn't have time to make it to the movie theater this weekend, but we had a couple good Netflix rentals worth reviewing. The first one we watch was "Defiance," a WWII movie starring Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber. It's a true story about two Jewish brothers in Nazi-occupied Eastern Europe. They join forces with Russian resistance fighters and build a secret village in the forest as a safe haven for Jews to hide. The premise was certainly interesting enough, but the movie was slow-going. The tone gets a little preachy and there are some metaphoric scenes with a "hero" on a white horse that were a little too over-obvious for me. Daniel Craig's acting was a little flat for me. I thought the true star of the movie was the less peaceful of two brothers, Schreiber.


The second movie we watched was the animated "How to Train Your Dragon." I loved this movie!! It's up for the "Best Animated" Oscar this year but unfortunately will probably not win since it's up against "Toy Story 3" (which is also nominated for "Best Picture"). While I liked "Toy Story 3," I like this movie even more. It was adorable, clever, and heartwarming. It's the tale of a Viking boy who doesn't fit in with the village or get the approval of his Viking king father because of his quirky and peaceful ways. One of the things that made this movie so great was that they gave the main dragon characteristics of pet dogs and cats. The boy would smile at the dragon, only to have it mimic an imitation back, just like some dogs do. It's pouncing was very similar to my cat's body language. I would definitely recommend seeing this one and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it get's the Oscar win it deserves.


No comments:

Post a Comment