All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Monday, June 27, 2011

An alien movie I actually liked..

This weekend I went to the movie theater to see "Super 8," which I wasn't hugely excited for but was going to placate the boyfriend. In general I do not like alien movies. I think they are movies with ridiculous plots that in the end cop-out actually explaining anything and just blame it all on the aliens. But this one was actually pretty good, maybe the only alien movie I've liked since E.T. Most of the story followed the humans in the town where this movie takes place. I do agree with the reviews I read though, that a lot of story lines gets started but few get fully developed. Maybe this was writer J.J. Abrams, who's use to making things like "Lost" where he has like 8 seasons to develop intricate characters. And I was glad that it wasn't overly CGI-ed and the alien looked less absurd than aliens in a lot of other films. The kid who played the lead (Joel Courtney) was really good. I looked at his IMDB profile and it looks like this is the only thing he's ever been in. I hope his career continues after this. The young female lead was played by Elle Fanning, who you can totally tell is related to her famous sister. They should make a movie together. Overall, I'm glad I went to see it. It exceeding my low expectations.


No comments:

Post a Comment