All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Friday, May 18, 2012

Delta Spirit Lights Up the Fillmore

The very best outcome of a show is when you see a band, either someone you somewhat like or don't really know much about, and they end up blowing your mind. This was my experience when seeing Delta Spirit at the Fillmore last Thursday night.

I've already raved about how much I adore The Fillmore. So far, my favorite venues in the Bay Area are the Fox Theater in Oakland, the Greek Theater in Berkeley and the Fillmore in SF. It's probably pretty awesome to be a smaller band that gets to play there, considering some of the legends that have been up on that stage over the years. We showed up to this show just in time to catch the second opener, Waters. Waters is a local Bay Area band, lead by ex-frontman from the popular Bay Area band Port O'Brien. The music was decent and they tried to keep the audience engaged, which can't be the easiest thing to do. I just wasn't drawn in by this local indie band. I almost felt that it was indie rock verging on 90s rock and the band's look didn't help that perception. The lead guy, Van Pierszalowski, worn a jean jacket with duct tape and looked like a cleaner, more showered version of Kurt Cobain. They almost reminded me of Dinosaur Jr in a way. Maybe they'd be better at a more intimate venue, but they just didn't resonate at the Fillmore.


Delta Spirit on the other hand blew me away. This band originates from San Diego and now resides in Long Beach. Their sound is a mix of indie rock, soul, street and just a twinge of alt country/folk. This tour was supporting their newest album release, "Rounder," which has the song "California" on it, which is one of my favorites of theirs. Delta Spirit dropped their first EP in 2006 and became an instant small band success, opening on tour for bands like Cold War Kids and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. I found a hilarious fun fact on their Wikipedia page, which says they store all their equipment in green plastic totes when they travel for shows. Fans of the movie Delta Force (starring Chuck Norris) have been known to follow the group from show to show. I'll admit, I've always liked them but used them more as background music. They grew on me more with this last album and now after seeing them live, I am officially a fan. They had great stage presence and an almost psychedelic light show.


On an another note, while I'm thinking about SoCal indie bands, I've been hearing a lot of buzz about The White Buffalo. If you're into a blend of indie rock and country, you should check him out!


No comments:

Post a Comment