All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fauxcella Fun

While I wasn't able to make it to either Coachella weekend this year, the perk of living in Northern California is that "Fauxchella," which happens in the weeks surrounding Coachella in Southern California. Bands either swing by the Bay Area on their way to or from the festival, or they fly up between weekend to perform. For the full Fauxcella lineup. Sadly, I missed Radiohead when they came up to San Jose but I was able to catch a bunch of other great acts.

Last Wednesday night I caught M.Ward at the Fillmore. The Fillmore is by far one of the best music venues in the city and has so much history. There's concert posters and photos covering all the walls of shows that have happened there since it was built. They keep with traditional, with a bucket of free apples near the entrance and an artistic concert poster on your way out if the show is sold-out. The M.Ward show was one of the more mellow shows I've been to in a while but his music is still danceable. I was surprised that he also played songs from his group projects, Monsters of Folk and She & Him. You can tell his musical skills no matter what he's playing or singing. And the show sold out so I got a beautiful M. Ward poster on the way out with butterflies flying out of a photograph. For more information on The Fillmore.


Last Thursday I went over to Oakland to see Miike Snow at the Fox Theater. The Fox Theater is my favorite venue in the full Bay Area and is definitely worth the trek to Oakland (it's only one block from the BART stop). The opener was Penguin Prison, a band my friends have turned me onto recently. Outside of their name being totally awesome, their songs are bouncy and fun. I didn't make it until halfway through their set but for the songs I did catch, they were energetic and crowd engaging. I heard from other show goers who hadn't heard of them before that they would be checking out their album. I've seen Miike Snow (it's an indie pop group from Sweden, not some guy named Miike) live before at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis when their 2009 album "Miike Snow" came out. This show was to support their second album, "Happy To You." They always put effort into their stage performance. They usually start out in masks and cloaks for the first song or two. There's always crazy light installations and the stage is covered in fog. If you ever have the chance to see them live, definitely do it. They play a mix of slower and more danceable songs, working in a ton of different instruments. The crowd is always engaged and it's just one of those shows that always leaves you wanting a second encore after the first.


This Tuesday I went to see Justice back at the Fox Theater. I've been dying to see Justice live so I was psyched. I have friends who go all over the world to attend their shows, so I knew I was in store for something spectacular. Unfortunately I missed the opener, The Rapture, but I heard good reviews. Justice is an electronic duo out of France. Their know for their signature sound that varies from other electronic groups in that it often incorporates a strong rock beat or indie influence. Their latest album, "Audio, Video, Disco" came out last year. It's pretty good but I'm partial to the older songs off "A Cross the Universe." If you don't think you've ever heard Justice, chances are you've probably heard their most well-known single "D.A.N.C.E." played at some party or bar. Back to the show, as soon as they went on stage the energy level in the place blew up. Their lights were intense (but awesome), filling the mood. Both guys were standing on a stand higher up, so even shorties like me could see them. Their signature giant glowing cross hung in the middle. It was an epic show and I wouldn't have expected any less. If you want the ultimate dance party, you need to see Justice live.




No comments:

Post a Comment