All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Can't Say No to Free Music

The other week, a media company in town hosted a free show and I am a sucker for free music. The two performers were Bombay Bicycle Club and Geographer. I was going for Bombay Bicycle Club, while everyone I was with was more excited for Geographer. 

Bombay Bicycle Club is an indie-rock band from London, England. The band is comprised of four guys, with the occasional female sit-in for vocals. The quirky band name actually comes from an Indian restaurant chain in Great Britain. They have three albums now and I have to say that their most well-known singles, "Evening/Morning" and " Always Like This" are my favorites. Unfortunately, they weren't that amazing in person. There was lackluster energy, they were all kind of blazed and it was a mess. I think their youth really showed in their stageman-ship. I felt kind of embarrassed that I talked them up so much beforehand. 


After them, Geographer came on. I knew of this band but didn't really know much about them. They're actually based out of San Francisco and are popular enough that they sell large shows across the country, but especially in SF. This band is comprised of three guys and while they're probably technically just classified as an electronic/indie band, I like their self-description best, that their sound is "soulful music from outer space." These sounds are made from drums, synthesizers, guitars and electric cellos. Their songs have been used as backdrop to movie trailers and TV shows, so even people who haven't heard of this band may recognize their unique sound. They were super energetic and into their show. It was almost 80s like, the way they'd dance around with the synth keyboard. I am definitely a fan now and would recommend seeing these guys live.


No comments:

Post a Comment