All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Brief Thoughts on Movies of the Week

Usually when it's February, I'm in the Midwest, buried under mounds of blankets and staying in watching movies instead of foraging through icy tundras to make it to a bar. Since winter, my movie viewing is seriously under my usual February quota. But I bet all you cold-weather dwellers are shaking your heads right now, thinking I have no right to complain. Last week I was complaining on the phone to my mother in Minnesota that it was too hot in San Francisco that week. She did not feel bad for me.

The first movie I saw in the last week or so was "The Tourist." It was so forgettable that I had to revisit my Netflix queue to remember what I watched. I usually love Johnny Depp, but in this role he lacked his usual magnetic energy and quirkiness that makes him so unique. Angelina Jolie plays her typical pouty, hot mysterious woman with a bad ass edge role. Seen it, and it was way better in "Wanted." There were a lot of gossip items last year on the pair's intense chemistry, which I did not see on the screen at all. Despite mixed reviews, it was nominated for three Golden Globes in 2011, which surprised a lot of people (including me). Luckily, it did not win any and went back to being forgotten about. I'm sure it's already making the rounds on HBO and will soon be available on regular cable networks. Don't waste a slot on your queue, just wait until cable. It does include a lot of lovely views of Venice.


The next movie I saw was more interesting at least, which was "The Special Relationship." This HBO movie details the relationship between Bill Clinton and UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, introducing George W. Bush near the end. It was definitely interesting and has me wondering how accurate it is in it's depiction. I was in middle school during the start of this, so I hadn't started following politics yet. This movie leans more toward the view that Clinton abused his relationship with Blair, calling in favors and not reciprocating, so if you're looking for some feel-good American patriotism, this is not the film for you. Michael Sheen and Dennis Quaid look great as Blair and Clinton. I think the best acting goes to Hope Davis, for her role as Hillary Clinton. She was nominated for a lot of awards in 2011 for this, including a Golden Globe. A definite watch if you like politics or England.


The last movie I saw was "Eat Pray Love" (I also watched "Fast and Furious"- the 4th, not to be confused with the 1st which has the exact same title. But I'm not even going to go there with a review.), which I has seen in the theaters as well. Overall, Julia Roberts seems lost and confident in her role as a divorcee in search of inner peace.She was probably supposed to appear this way in the beginning of the film, but even when she finds herself, it's hard to believe that she's an adventurous and independent woman. I like this movie for the fact that it makes me want to travel to Italy, India and Bali. A friend of mine just spent 3 weeks at a yoga retreat in Bali. I hope to at some point in my life so a similar adventure. How could you not find zen on such beautiful beaches?? Anyway, in my opinion, the book is worth a read if you have time and I'd wait until it hits cable to see the movie. At least James Franco and Javier Bardem have hot male cameos.




No comments:

Post a Comment