All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Movie Addicts Anonymous

Let me preface this post by admitting I have a problem. I am addicted to movies. I went to the movie theater on Van Ness last weekend and the girl at the ticket booth recognized me. That's probably not a good sign. Good, admitting you have a problem is the first step. But I'm no sure I want to recover. Now onto the reviews!

We were at the theater seeing Paul Rudd in "Our Idiot Brother." The reviews were horrible but we went in expecting nothing more than a couple laughs and that's exactly what we got. No regrets. Paul Rudd is hilarious as a hapless hippie who tries to do good but just digs himself deeper and deeper into a hold with his three sisters (and everyone else). The three sisters are played by three wonderful actresses. The oldest is played by Emily Mortimer, the middle by Elizabeth Banks and the youngest by Zoey Deschanel. Deschanel has the cutest wardrobe the entire time and her butch girlfriend is hilariously portrayed by Rashida Jones. There's lots of good cameos and Rudd's dog, Willie Nelson, is so cute. Just don't expect the real Willie Nelson to show up. Go see this movies if you need a laugh and to spend 2 hours thinking about nothing.


We rented another comedy, "Just Go With It," starring Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston and Brooklyn Decker. It was actually more funny than I thought it would be. Sandler and Aniston have a surprising chemistry. Brooklyn Decker's real life hubby, Andy Roddick, made a funny cameo. Nicole Kidman and Dave Matthews (yes, the one from DMB) were in it. I didn't even know they could be good for a laugh. The kids in the movie are pretty hilarious as well. I'd give it three stars, but I went in expecting two, so I was happy.


I've also been pretty active on Netflix Instant these last few weeks. The best one I saw was "Tangled." It brought me back to the classic Disney movies of my childhood and is definitely the best thing to come out of Disney recently. The animation was beautiful, the story was enchanting and the music didn't annoy me nearly as much as it usually does. Mandy Moore (who I will always have a soft spot for due to unknown reasons) and Zachary Levi (of "Chuck" fame), do a good job as the main voices.


I streamed "Two Lovers," with Joaquin Phoenix and Gwyneth Paltrow. I wasn't a huge fan of this dark and tragic love story. It mainly made me bad for everyone involved. I have seen Phoenix do anything good for a while. He's a great actor, but he was just mopey in this and on the verge of having a mullet. I'm not a fan of Paltrow. She hasn't made a good movie since maybe the 90s and in real life she's comes off as a stuck up, know-it-all egomaniac. That, from the lady who named her child Apple. I wouldn't recommend this movie unless you're depressed and have nothing else to watch.


The next one I streamed was "You Again," starring the adorable Kristen Bell. She plays a girl who was tortured in high school for being a nerd, who becomes successful and then finds out that her older brother is marrying the girl who made her life miserable in high school. Then it turns out her mom, played by the always wonderful Jamie Less Curtis, and the girl's aunt, played by Sigourney Weaver, are old frenemies as well. It was pretty funny. Betty White makes a cameo and brings the hilarity to another level. I'm a fan of Bell (it all started with the amazing "Veronica Mars"), she does a good job in light-hearted rom-coms.


The last one I streamed, and the end to this epically long rant on movies, was "The Good Guy." I don't know if this one was ever in theaters, I don't remember seeing it if it was. I liked the cast so I decided to give it a watch. It stars Alexis Bledel ("Gilmore Girls, "Sin City"). One of the main guys is played by Bryan Greenberg, who's not too famous, plays the random love interest in rom-coms. He starred in the underrated and short-lived "October Road" show. It was an interesting love story. It wasn't funny, it wasn't sad, it's hard to explain. But it kept me engaged the whole time and had me invested in the characters.

1 comment:

  1. I ended up watching The Good Guy on netflix one day too. I agree with your assessment. Not that funny, not that sad, but engaging.

    ReplyDelete