All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The best peanut sauce I've ever had.

Yesterday I finally made it to My Father's Kitchen (1655 Divisadero) for lunch. I'd heard good things about it and been wanting to check it out for awhile now. The problem is that it's only open until 7p everyday, so unless you eat dinner at early bird special times, it's hard to make it there. I feel like they're missing out on a huge potential dinner crowd. Oh well, it's definitely one of my new favorite lunch spots in the neighborhood. The inside is clean and simple with dark wood undertones and a little rose on every table.The service is very helpful and friendly.


They tout Vietnamese comfort food. Whatever you do, make sure you start out with the fresh spring rolls small plate. Wrapped in vermicelli noodles, it's stuffed with shrimp, sliced pork, cilantro and mint. The thing that makes these the best spring rolls I've ever had is the peanut sauce they're served with. It's creamy perfection and they give you a giant serving to smother your rolls in. I've never had such a creamy, smooth peanut sauce. I would love to know how they make it. 


I've been all about the pho lately. Pho is a traditional Vietnamese rice noodle soup. It's an amazingly flavorful soup, with many different possible combinations. At My Father's Kitchen, I got the beef rice noodle soup special. Along with the noodles, green onions and cilantro, it has round steak, brisket and flank. It's usually served with a side of jalapeno and lemon, which you can choose to add. I like to add both, with a couple splashes of sriracha to add a little spice. 


My boyfriend got the bun, another traditional Vietnamese dish with vermicelli noodles. Vermicelli noodles are thin white noodles, made from rice, and are a staple in Vietnamese cooking. The bun he got came with marinated grilled pork and meatballs, served with fresh herbs and fish sauce. It also comes with a side of lettuce and cilantro. Our server said there's really no right way to eat it, so he made it into mini lettuce wraps.

They also served Blue Bottle coffee here, which people are wild about in San Francisco. It's an organic microroast brewed and poured with a slow drip style. Their headquarters are in Oakland. I'm not a huge coffee drinker but everyone raves about how fresh and flavorful this coffee is. You can read their interesting backstory here. Long story short, the food is delicious and the prices are more than fair. I will definitely be back to My Father's Kitchen and will be eating those spring rolls every single time.

No comments:

Post a Comment