All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Friday, April 1, 2011

Inception: I think I get it

Last night I watched the movie "Inception" for the second time around. I saw it when it came out in theaters, but we went to have drinks beforehand and this is not the movie to watch when you're tipsy. First off, whoever did the casting for this movie is brilliant. Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, and Marion Cotillard in one movie? That sells me right there! Christopher Nolan did a good job directing and deserved to be nominated for an Oscar (although I also agree with him not winning it). The special effects are super cool and the scenery is amazing. Here's the thing. I hear about people have to watch the movie five or ten times to "get it." Is the plot really that complicated? I think movies like "Momento" were way more confusing. I know there's a lot of symbolism in it. And that people get confused with the dream within a dream and the whole limbo concept. But overall, I think people are reading too much into it. I think Nolan left the ending ambiguous and it's meant for the viewer to decide. So there's really no right answer. Leo spins the top, his totem of reality at the end, and it keeps spinning. If it never falls, that means he's still in a dream. But right before Nolan cuts away, the top starts to wobble, which insinuates that it's going to fall. So basically, there's no final answer to the movie. It's whether you believe the top ended up falling or not. Am I wrong about this??


No comments:

Post a Comment