All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Monday, January 6, 2014

Holiday Movie Wrap-Up

I love the holiday season for so many reasons (the lights, family and friends, the ridiculous amount of food consumed, the mulled wine), but one of those reasons is the movies. Over the last couple weeks I made sure to check out a few of the upcoming awards season’s top contenders.

My favorite would have to be David O. Russell’s “American Hustle.” The movie is nominated for a bunch of SAG and Golden Globes. While I think it’s deserving of many of them, the nomination that best represents this movie is the SAG’s  “Outstanding Cast in a Motion Picture,” meaning everyone played their roles to perfection. Christian Bale is the lead con man, who while being hopeless, ethically/morally loose, wearing the most creative comb-over ever and a pot belly (he gained significant weight for this role), is also a Lothario. In his con life he enlists the skills of his lover, played by Amy Adams (whose plunging necklines required a lot of double sided tape throughout filming). At home he has an alcoholic, manipulative wife, played by Jennifer Lawrence. Lawrence seems to be getting the most accolades out of everyone and is well deserved. While she seems a little young for the role, I read she perfected her accent by watching a large amount of reality TV, which tends to be based in New Jersey. Bradley Cooper plays an FBI agent with a pretty killer ‘80s perm. Jeremy Renner has a smaller role in the movie as a mayor who ends up getting caught up in the main scheme. Comedian Louis C.K. plays Cooper’s boss at the FBI and while it’s not your standard “funny guy” role, his scenes are enjoyably laughable. Robert De Niro also has a pretty stellar cameo. It’s clearly a movie from Russell, as the movie is less about the plot and more about the character development. The movie seemed chaotic at times but the characters made it charming. The tacky and glitz 70’s were the perfect backdrop to their con-man shenanigans. So far, I’d say this is the biggest must-see prior to the awards shows.


Last weekend I went to see Martin Scorsese’s new movie, “The Wolf of Wall Street.” I was a little hesitant about this one after hearing a lot of mixed reviews but I usually love Scorsese (and Leo!) so I went for it. First off, I can see why few people over the age of 40 enjoyed it. It’s basically a 3 hour fuck-fest (sorry for the language Mom but it’s the best way to convey it) with c-notes, hookers and drugs. So I’m also guessing every guy under the age of 35 thinks this is the best movie ever. I will say that I liked it despite the graphicness (but I am nowhere near what one would consider a prude). The movie is actually based on a true story believe it or not of Wall Street broker turned convict turned motivational speaker Jordan Belfort. Some of the stories and dialog are lifted directly from Belfort’s memoir while some of the stories (like throwing midgets like human darts) are a little more questionable. The firm Belfort started, Stratton Oakmont, was actually also the inspiration behind the 2000 movie “Boiler Room.” Leo DiCaprio does a great job as the charismatic Belfort. His character narrates asides directly to the camera throughout the movie, giving us more insight into some of his crazy behavior. DiCaprio actually makes the character semi-likable that sometime you want him to get away with everything. Jonah Hill, Hollywood’s new go-to sidekick, is awkward yet brilliant as Belfort’s sidekick. Matthew McConaughey is only in one scene in the whole movie but it’s a totally scene stealer. Another upside, the 3 hour movie flies by like a frantic drug rambling, so there are never really any lulls. I’m glad I went to see once but will I ever watch it again? Probably not. One fun fact not in the movie: While serving time in a while collar prison, Belfort was cellmate with Tommy Chong, of “Cheech & Chong.” Chong was actually the one who encouraged him to write the book.



The other noteworthy movie I went to see was “Inside Llewyn Davis,” the new movie by the Coen brothers. For the most part I really like their movies and think they write great, dry dialog. I wasn’t a fan of their more recent foray, “A Serious Man,” and this one felt very similar. The plot was pretty slow, the scenery bleak and the overall feeling was just depressing. It starred Oscar Isaac, who did a decent job with all the acting and singing. I usually like Cary Mulligan, who was the main female role in this, but even she seemed lackluster. I do have to say though that Justin Timberlake breaks the mold again with a pretty amazing cameo. I never knew I’d be so impressed by his acting chops. John Goodman does a decent job in his role and Garrett Hedlund got paid to pretty much not say anything. I was happy to see Adam Driver (from "Girls") getting movie roles. Young Bob Dylan gets a clever shout out near the end of the movie. Overall, I think the best part of the movie was the cat. Unless you’re in the mood for something depressing or you really like 1960s folk music, I’d say your fine skipping this one. I think it got nominations because of the prestige the Coen name carries but I’d be surprised if it wins any of the Golden Globes it’s up for.


No comments:

Post a Comment