All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Night Out in Japantown

Last Sunday was the Golden Globes and amidst the flurry of sequins and champagne, we saw the top contenders of this awards season come through. Notable winners (that I’m all very happy about) included “American Hustle,” “12 Years as a Slave,” Amy Adams, Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Lawrence, Jared Leto and “Breaking Bad” (going out in a blaze of glory).

I've been able to see most of this season's nominated movies but one I was missing was “Her,” so I went to check it out Friday night. For Golden Globes it was up for “Best Picture- Comedy or Musical” but lost to “American Hustle.” Joaquin Phoenix was nominated for “Best Actor- Comedy or Musical” but lost to Leo DiCaprio. Spike Jonze did end up winning one for “Best Screenplay.” I went in with relatively low expectations. Despite the nominations, personal reviews from friends described it as strange and awkward. However, a few who’d seen it had proclaimed it to be one of the best they’d seen all year. The premise of the movie is definitely original and a tale for our time (or the not-so-distant future). When a man going through divorce is burned out on human relationships he turns to his operating system (OS) for emotional connection and love. While there are some awkward “sex” scenes, the rest is pretty relatable to human relationships. Phoenix does a good job playing downtrodden yet hopelessly romantic. Scarlett Johansson does the voice of Samantha, the OS. That woman does have a pretty sexy voice! Amy Adams had a great smaller role which I think could have been expanded on a little more, as it seemed like she had more of past with Phoenix’s character but that was glazed over.  There were also good cameos by Olivia Wilde and Rooney Mara. I love Spike Jonze movies (“Adaptation,” “Being John Malkovich”) so I was glad he won for screenplay but surprised he wasn't even nominated for director. I thought there were some very visually stunning scenes and shots that really conveyed the emotional turmoil of Phoenix’s character. I always forget that Jonze got his start in directing by making music videos for the likes of Beastie Boys and Bjork. I do have to say, no one makes music videos like that anymore! Anyway, I digress. I would definitely recommend making “Her” one of the movies to see this season. It’s a timely and relevant love story that’s both charming and sad.



On another side note, we went to see “Her” at the Sundance Kabuki Theater in Japantown. Beforehand, instead of patroning one of the many authentic and delicious ramen shops nearby (I recommend Tanpopo) we decided to hit up Benihana. I love Benihana. Perhaps in a city filled with amazing Asian options, this could be considered a travesty but there are no other hibachi options. First off, in a city filled with waitlists, getting a reservation at Benihana is extremely easy. I even saw them take some walk-ins. At Benihana you not only get 5 courses of food but a showmanship of knives and flames right in front of you. Their fried rice is fantastic, as are their dipping sauces. So we got a soup, salad, shrimp appetizer, bowl of fried rice, chicken and steak entrĂ©e, plus had to duck out before we could get the green tea ice cream. All that food, plus a large sake ran me $35. I’m sorry, but in San Francisco I can rarely get out a restaurant for under $50 if I get a drink, appetizer and main course. People kept asking what my friend and I were celebrating. Can we just be celebrating a love of Benihana??

I mean, even Don Draper likes Benihana!

No comments:

Post a Comment