All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mmmmmmmeat

Vegans: Don't read this post.

I will never be a vegan, or even a vegetarian for that matter. First off, I'm very impressed by anyone from the Midwest who has attempted this. What do you eat in the land of meat and potatoes? My parents mainly stuck with fish and chicken for a period of my childhood and even that was tricky (I was totally buying happy meals on the side with my allowance money). While fish and chicken are great, sometimes a girl just needs a big, juicy steak. Medium rare, still slightly bloody. I don't understand well done. Is there any flavor left on that charred brick of meat? Anyway, the reason I'm rambling about meat is that I ate at a pretty amazing place last week.

Anyone who's a steak lover in SF knows, you have to visit the House of Prime Rib. I mean, doesn't the name itself speak volumes? Take away the 1950s decor, throw in some jousting and it's basically Medieval Times (this is a flattering comparison for any meat lover who hasn't experience eating there). The ambiance is classic steak house, cut right out of the Mad Men era. And what do you know, they're know for their martinis. I had the lemon drop, which was not too shabby.


The menu is pretty simple. You get steak or you get fish. If you get fish, there's one fish of the day and that's that. If you get the beef, there are 4 different cuts you can choose from. I got the English cut, which is thin layers of prime rib, which is supposed to be most flavorful. There's the smaller City Cut for those who haven't fully owned up to their meat eating potential yet. Then there's the House of Prime Rib cut and King Henry VIII cuts, which are basically just giant slabs of prime rib (King Henry still has the bone in). They carve all the prime rib right at your table, so it's juicy fresh. As for everything outside of the meat, the meal begins with a salad. On their menu they describe the salad as "a colorful mixture of healthy, crisp, seasonal greens prepared at your table, tossed in our unique house dressing." Ha, pardon me while I laugh. It's iceberg lettuce, doused in some kind of 100 Island, mayo-based dressing. It's far from healthy but I love it anyway. With the meal you get to choose two sides from a short list: mashed potatoes, baked potato, Yorkshire pudding, creamed spinach or creamed corn. The mashed potatoes are buttery and fluffy. I wasn't a fan of the creamed spinach. The Yorkshire pudding is a good try for anyone who hasn't had it before. For dessert we sampled pretty much everything on the menu. The standout was the pecan pie, which tasted homemade. I would definitely recommend this place if you're looking for a good steak, but don't head here if you want anything outside of prime rib. And under no means should you go if you are in any way not completely starving.


No comments:

Post a Comment