All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Movies of the week

Last week I Netflixed the animated movie "Rango." I was excited to see it, as I missed it in theaters and the previews made it look so funny. Well, turns out the movie studio did that thing where they put all the funny parts in the preview. The rest of the movie was bizarre. It was like they were trying to spoof a classic Western, but it went terribly, terribly wrong. I lost interest a hour in. There are very few movies I don't watch the whole way through and this was one of them. I did like the singing owls though, they were the best part for me. And you could definitely tell the lizard was Johnny Depp's voice, but much less handsome than the real thing.

The next movie I saw was "Dinner With the Schmucks." This time I came in with low expectations. This is actually the American version of a French film I had to watch in college "Le Diner de Cons." And it has Paul Rudd in it, who I love but who has also making some questionable movie choices. The preview made it look awful but it was on HBO, so I figured why not. Let me preface this by saying that I'm NOT recommending it, I'm just saying it exceeded my low expectations. I'd give it 3 stars. It made me laugh out loud a couple times. It also made me as uncomfortable as a Ben Stiller movie. And I definitely got a kick out of their weird mice dioramas Steve Carell's character makes.
The last movie I saw was a couple nights ago. It was the recently release "Unknown" starring Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger and January Jones. I really like all three of those actors and in general they all tend to make good role choices. The movie had an intriguing premise (guy wakes up from a taxi accident and no one remembers him, life as he knows it is gone). I won't ruin anything for you, but let's just say it gets extremely similar to "The Bourne Identity." It became so along those plot lines that the movie stopped being exciting and was just annoying. Get a new plot twist people. My boyfriend was bored through the whole movie and a boring thriller has no point at all. All and all, wait for cable to see this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment