All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The (Non) Spectacular Now

Last Friday night I went to see "The Spectacular Now." This movie is based on a book, which I was warned was rather depressing. It’s adapted by the writers of “(500) Days of Summer,” which I thought was a brilliant movie. However, IMDB lists the movie as a comedy/drama/romance. After seeing the film, I'm really wondering how they decided to classify it partially as a comedy. There were a couple fast but fleeting "cute" moments that made you smile but overall it was pretty depressing (although according to people who've read the book, not as depressing as the novel). The premise of the movie surrounds teen alcoholism and poor parental role models. So yeah, pretty cheery stuff.


I liked the casting of this movie. Most of the ensemble is fairly unknown. Ray Liotta makes a cameo as a drunken, absentee father. My favorite was the lead actress, Shailene Woodley, who’s been rising to fame via indie movies and complex roles ever since “The Descendants.” Miles Teller plays the male lead and is very convincing in the role. I’m glad that they chose an average looking kid, although apparently he makes Sutter a more likable character than in the book.


I’d say wait until rental for this one unless you are a fan of depressing stories and teen angst. My other recommendation, don’t go see this on a blind date. Watching an awkward teen sex scene next to some guy you barely know if almost as painful as watching “Eyes Wide Shut” with your father (thank you high school Stanley Kubrick film project for that unforgettable moment).


Speaking of uncomfortable movies, I rented “The Paperboy” last night. I was half paying attention at first until I realized the movie is perturbing. I’m not going into detail but let’s just say there’s grisly murder, racial crimes, a “sex/masturbation” scene at a prison and a brutal gay rape. I think this movie was Zac Efron trying to prove he’s edgy and not just “High School Musical” and Nicole Kidman trying to be sexy. Matthew McConaughey’s performance is sub par as usual (with the exception of “Mud”) and somehow they roped John Cusak into this as well, which makes me supremely disappointed. Did you know Macy Gray can act? No? That's because she can't. I do not recommend this movie at all, even knowing there’s no way this is airing on cable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment