All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A meal in Mill Valley

The northern peninusla of the area is home to a surprisingly good amount of food. The other day I ventured to the Buckeye Roadhouse in Mill Valley, located near the foot of Mt. Tam. The restaurant looks like a lodge and the interior has the same feel. The main dining room features a large stone fireplace and an overall warm and inviting feel. 


We started with the local, featured oysters, which were from Tomales Bay. They were served on the traditional bed of ice with horseradish cocktail and mignonette sauces. They were large and succulent with a sweeter finish. We also got the dungeness crab cakes with chipotle aioli. The cakes were large and meaty. The aioli was a good balance of spicy and creamy. For my lunch I got the dungeness crab louis, with avocado, broccolini, egg, tomato and cucumber. I can't explain how it was one of the best crab louis salads I've ever had, but I'll try. They heap the fresh crab in mass quantities over the top of the salad. The salad itself is made with uber fresh ingredients. I've never had broccolini in a louis before and and it added some needed crunch. The dressing automatically comes on the side and while it's clearly heavy in mayo like most louis dressings, it also has a tarter like tartness that gives the salad a little needed zest. Another person at the table got the slow-smoked spicy pork sandwich with hand-cut chipotle chips and coleslaw. I'm doing low-carb right now, otherwise I'm might have gotten that. It was piled high with meat and sauce. While the Buckeye's a little pricey, it definitely features a high quality of food.


No comments:

Post a Comment