All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Haven't seen too many movies lately...

October has been a pretty crazy month and I'm getting behind on my movies and Netflix queue, which is no good. I have seen one flick in theaters this month, "The Ides of March." This political film stars some heavy hitters, like George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti. The female lead is played by Rachel Evan Wood. The movie was really good. While the story is not true, it is clear that inspiration for the two presidential candidates is pulled from a lot of the political scandals that have happened in the last few years. Clooney's campaign poster is very reminiscent of Obama's "Hope" poster. While I left this movie feeling a little depressed about the state of politics, I do recommend this movie. Everyone in it did an amazing job. It seems like Clooney is gunning to be this generation's Robert Redford, as he not only starred but helped write a direct.


The last movie I rented was "Source Code," starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan and Vera Farmiga. I do have to say one quick thing about Vera. She's Ukrainian and is you enjoy borscht, my mom said the way Vera makes it with beef is pretty tasty. So anyway, I'm normally not into the sci-fi types of movies. The premise is that Gyllenhall is a solider that keeps getting sent to the scene of a train explosion to find the terrorist. When he's sent there, he somehow takes over this guy on the train's mind and body. You find out later what technology the military is using to make this possible. I won't run it, but let's just say its a bit of a stretch and would never be approved in real life. The ending really bothered me, as a lot of the movie has to do with time travel. If you have a plot like this, take some time to wrap up the ending and at least make it semi-believable. This movie ends so abruptly and the ending doesn't make any sense if you take two seconds to think about how that would actually work. This seems like the type of movie that will definitely be running on cable a lot in the future, so I would just wait for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment