All that glitters is good.....

All that glitters is good.....

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A bar without alcohol

And no, just because I live in California, I'm not talking about oxygen bars. Last Saturday night I went to drybar, a blow dry bar. Apparently this fad is huge in LA and Southern California and is working its way up the coast. I actually had the owner for my blowout and she's from the O.C. The drybar  in San Francisco is on Fillmore and they advertise "No cuts. No color. Just blowouts. Only $35." Walking in, I was blown away by the cuteness of the place. The blowout stations are lined up along a long white bar. Everything in there is white with bright yellow accents. Sex & the City was playing on the TV. You get offered cucumber or strawberry-infused water. I waited on a comfy white chair next to a table with a vase of yellow roses. When you start, they take you to a back room to get your hair washed. For an extra $10, you can get a "floater" which is a scalp massage. After getting back to your station, you flip through a picture-book "menu" and pick which blowout you want. The options are straight up, mai tai (messy, beachy), southern comfort (big volume with curls), cosmopolitan (loose curls) or sleek & smooth. They also do a Shirley Temple blowout for kids and offer updos. I got the cosmopolitan and loved it. I think this may be my favorite new form of self-pampering. It would be a fun activity to do with a group of girlfriends before a big night out. My only qualm was that I though it would last longer but halfway through the night, it had changed significantly and my hair usually holds curl pretty well. But overall, a wonderful experience and I will definitely be back again. They take about 20-30 minutes. Just make sure to schedule an appointment. Saturdays can be booked solid and the lady I had said she'd probably done 100 blowouts that day!


No comments:

Post a Comment